Department of Electrical and ComputerEngineering
The National University of Singapore,
4 Engineering Drive 3, Singapore 117576
Room #: E4 07-07
Fax:+65-6779-1103 (Please use: "Attn: Dr. Bharadwaj Veeravalli")
[CLOUD / GRID / CLUSTER COMPUTING] Cloud Computing - Resource Management - Resource Aware and Unaware strategies for managing Big Data Processing on Clouds; Cloud of Clouds; Data Mining for a specific application (health/medical data currently underway in collaboration with Fujitsu, Big Data handling for Medical Decision Support System); Managing delay sensitive media applications on Cloud; How to Price a user on Cloud/Grid? Performance Modelling in Cluster/Grid computing systems/algorithms; Energy Minimization in Cloud Data Centers; Resource Allocation; Load Balancing; Security-Driven resource allocation; Earlier attempts: Resource allocation on Grids; Media-Grid (Interactive Digital Media Support) - A QoS regulated service infrastructure design; Large-Scale DAG scheduling on Clouds/Grids; Performance Modeling in Cluster/Grid computing systems/algorithms; Load Balancing on Grid Systems; Data Positioning and routing for Mobile Cloud Infrastructures;
(HIGH-PERFORMANCE COMPUTING) & (PARALLEL & DISTRIBUTED SYSTEMS) Performance Modelling of networked computing systems, Design of Security Infused Schedulers for HPC systems; Implementing Complex Security Algorithms on HPC platforms; Designing High Performance Parallel and Distributed Computing Systems (resource management and optimization) - Scheduling/Load balancing/Divisible load scheduling; Mapping algorithms that are computationally intensive onto real-life architectures - Sun's Niagara Architecture, Intel Xeon Multi-Core CPUs, IBM's Cell Architecture, etc; Parallel algorithms design; Earlier attempts - Distributed Databases and Online algorithms - Competitive algorithms for Data Replication and Storage - Static/Mobile environments; design of centralized and decentralized algorithms
[BIOINFORMATICS & COMPUTATIONAL BIOLOGY] Designing high-speed/performance algorithms to support applications that handle data-intensive computations: Bioinformatics - gene/protein sequence synthesis for homology detection/drug manufacturing; RNA Secondary Structure Predication - Parallel techniques; High performance Multiprocessor solutions - Use of Multi-core chips for bioinformatics applications;
Other Interests - Protein folding Problems, Motif Search; Use of Cluster/Grid computing support; Harnessing network applications for cooperative execution; Genome rearrangement algorithms; gene duplication and shuffling; Large-scale MSA problems-parallel techniques; large-scale phylogenetic trees; Mutation sensitive sequence alignments; Cancer genetics + Immense interest in Algorithms oriented computational biology problems in other topics
[EMBEDDED SYSTEMS] Designing Energy-&-QoS Aware scheduling algorithms for Distributed Embedded systems and also for heterogeneous multiprocessor systems; Lareg-Scale DAG Scheduling on Scalable FPGAs, Memory management and allocation for embedded systems; resource management and optimization; Real-time scheduling algorithms; Application to Body Area Networks (BANs) - Sensor driven data acquisition and processing systems; Battery-Aware Scheduling strategies for Passive Voltage Scaling (PVS) based heterogeneous Multiprocessor Chips; Resource-constrained scheduling algorithms for embedded CPUs; ===============================
[MULTIMEDIA / MEDIA STORAGE & RETRIEVAL] Multimedia Scheduling and VoD/MoD systems - Long Duration Movie rendering on delay sensitive networks; JINI-agent based solution (technology component), Object Oriented Green Storage and retrieval for digital media applications; Caching and Storage on WWW/Internet; Media Grid - Service Provisioning with a QoS perspective;
· Wireless Security - Addressing safety in Wireless systems; Attacks modeling and polymorphic worms-containing worms in a wireless infrastructure;
· [Currently this topic is under reading and exploration phase; An extensive survey has been conducted and findings are consolidated as a Book Chapter in Encyclopedia of Wireless and Mobile Communications, CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group, USA, 2007 ]
· Design of Energy and Bandwidth Aware Strategies for Information Dissemination on Ad Hoc Mobile Networks
· Flexible Manufacturing Systems - AGV scheduling and material handling strategies
· Topics on Man-Machine Interaction: audio based emotion recognition, sign language Interpretation
· WDM-based Optical Networks - Design of algorithms for wavelength assignment and virtual topology reconfiguration
· Interactive Digital Media (IDM) - Design of an Active and Passive Story-telling process; media reusability;
· [Invited Chapter] Bharadwaj Veeravalli, "Designing High-Performance Concurrent Strategies for Biological Sequence Alignment Problems on Networked Computing Platforms", In an edited Book by El-Ghazali Talbi and A. Zomaya on Grids for Bioinformatics and Computational Biology, Wiley & Sons, USA, 2008.
· [Invited Chapter] Benjamin Khoo B. T and Bharadwaj Veeravalli, "An Adaptive Co-ordinate based Scheduling Mechanism for Grid Resource Management with Resource Availabilities for Grid Computing Environments", To appear in an edited Book by Fatos Xhafa and Ajith Abraham on Meta-heuristics for Scheduling in Emergent Computational Systems, Series in Studies in Computational Intelligence, Springer-Verlag, USA, 2008.
· [Invited Chapter] SPT Krishnan, Bharadwaj Veeravalli, and Lawrence Wong, "WiMAX Architecture, Protocols, Security and Privacy", Book Chapter in Unlicensed Mobile Access Technology (UMAT): Protocols, Architectures, Security, Standards and Applications (Edited by Y. Zhang, Laurence T. Yang and J. Ma), pp.281-296, Auerbach Publications, Taylor&Francis Group, USA, 2008, First Edition, (ISBN: 1420055372), 2008.
· [Invited Chapter] SPT Krishnan, Bharadwaj Veeravalli, and Lawrence Wong, "Wireless LAN Security and Privacy", To appear as a Chapter in Encyclopedia of Wireless and Mobile Communications, CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group, USA, 2007. (http://www.cse.fau.edu/~borko/Articles.html)
· [Book Chapter] Lam KT, Bharadwaj V, Judice LY Koh, and Vladimir B, "Incremental Maintenance of Biological Databases Using Association Rule Mining", To appear as a Chapter in Edited Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics (LNIB) Pattern Recognition in Bioinformatics, 2006.
· [Book Chapter] Ruchir S., Bharadwaj V., and, Manoj M., "Estimation Based Load Balancing Algorithm for Data-Intensive Heterogeneous Grid Environments", To appear as a Chapter in Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS), Springer-Verlag, 2006.
· [Book Chapter] X. Li, B. Veeravalli, and L. Jiang, "Towards Optimal Performance in Distributed Memory Systems with Buffer Constraints Using Divisible Load Analysis", to appear in ''Advanced Parallel and DistributedComputing: Evaluations, Improvement and Practices," Edited by, Y.S. Dai, Y. Pan, and R. Raje, Nova Science Publishers, New York, USA, November 2005.
· [Book/Monograph]Bharadwaj Veeravalli and Gerassimos Barlas, "Distributed Multimedia Retrieval Strategies for Large Scale Networked Systems", Multimedia Systems and Applications Series, Springer CS Publishers, 2005
· [Book/Monograph]Wujuan Lin and Bharadwaj Veeravalli, "Object Management in Distributed Database Systems for Stationary and Mobile Computing Environments: A Competitive Approach, Network Theory and Applications (NETA) Series, Vol. 12, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston, USA, 2003.
[Invited Paper] Bharadwaj Veeravalli, "Distributed Multimedia Systems", Encyclopedia Multimedia, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2005.
· [Invited Paper] Bharadwaj Veeravalli, "Long Duration Continuous Media Retrieval on Large-Scale Networks", Encyclopedia Multimedia, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2005.
· [Book Chapter] Ligang Dong and Bharadwaj Veeravalli, "Design and Analysis of a Variable Bit Rate Caching Algorithm for Continuous Media Data" Chapter in Edited LNCS volume entitled Web Content Caching and Distribution, Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS), Volume 3293/2004, page. 209-214, Springer-Verlag Heidelberg, Germany, 2004. (Edited by: Chi-Hung Chi, Maarten van Steen, Craig Wills ISBN: 3-540-23516-7)
· [Book/Monograph] Bharadwaj Veeravalli, Debasish Ghose, Venkataraman Mani, and Thomas G. Robertazzi, "Scheduling Divisible Loads in Parallel and Distributed Systems", IEEE Computer Society Press, Los Almitos, California, 1996.
Journals (Most Recent)
- 2013 -
· Menglan Hu, Bharadwaj Veeravalli: Requirement-aware strategies for scheduling real-time divisible loads on clusters. Journal of Parallel & Distributed Computing, 73(8): 1083-1091 (2013).
· Heng Yu, Yajun Ha, Bharadwaj Veeravalli: Quality-Driven Dynamic Scheduling for Real-Time Adaptive Applications on Multiprocessor Systems. IEEE Transactions on Computers 62(10): 2026-2040 (2013).
· Menglan Hu, Bharadwaj Veeravalli: Requirement-Aware Scheduling of Bag-of-Tasks Applications on Grids with Dynamic Resilience”, IEEE Transactions on Computers 62(10): 2108-2114 (2013).
· Yang Wang, Bharadwaj Veeravalli, Chen-Khong Tham: “On Data Staging Algorithms for Shared Data Accesses in Clouds”, IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, 24(4): 825-838 (2013).
- 2012 –
· Lingfang Zeng, Bharadwaj Veeravalli, Qingsong Wei, Dan Feng: SeWDReSS: “On the design of an application independent, secure, wide-area disaster recovery storage system”, Multimedia Tools Appl. 58(3): 543-568, 2012.
· Yu Hua, Bin Xiao, Bharadwaj Veeravalli, Dan Feng, “Locality-Sensitive Bloom Filter for Approximate Membership Query”, IEEE Transactions on Computers 61(6): 817-830, 2012.
· Ganesh N I, Bharadwaj V and Sakthi G K, “On Handling Large-Scale Polynomial Multiplications in Compute Cloud Environments using Divisible Load Paradigm”, IEEE Transactions on Aerospace Electronics and Systems, Volume 48, Issue 1, pp. 820-831, 2012.
- 2011 -
· Xiaoyong T, Kenli L, Zeng Z and Bharadwaj Veeravalli, "A Novel Security-Driven Scheduling Algorithm for Precedence Constrained Tasks in Heterogeneous Distributed Systems" IEEE Transactions on Computers, Vol. 7, No. 60, pp. 1017-1029, 2011.
· Zeng Zeng, Bharadwaj V, and Kenli Li, "A Novel Server-Side Proxy Caching Strategy for Large-Scale Multimedia Applications", Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing, Vol. 71, No. 4, pp. 525-536, 2011.
· Hu Menglan and Bharadwaj Veeravalli, "Requirement-Aware Strategies for Scheduling Multiple Divisible Loads with Arbitrary Processor Release Times", IEEE Transactions on Parallel & Distributed Systems, Vol. 22, No. 10, pp. 1697-1794, 2011.
· Ganesh N. I, Bharadwaj V and Sakthi K G, "On Handling Large Scale, Polynomial Multiplications in Compute Cloud Environments using Divisible Load Paradigm ", IEEE Transactions on Aerospace Electronics & Systems (TAES), (2011).
· Yu*, Hua, Xiao Bin, B Veeravalli and Feng Dan, "Locality-Sensitive Bloom Filter for Approximate Membership Query", IEEE Transactions on Computers, (2011).
- 2010 -
· Benjamin Khoo BT and Bharadwaj Veeravalli, " Pro-active Failure Handling Mechanisms for Scheduling in Grid Computing Environments", Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing, 70 (3), pp. 189-200, 2010.
· Jingxi J, Bharadwaj V, and Jon W, "Scheduling Multi-source Divisible Loads on Arbitrary Networks", IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, Volume 21, Issue 4, pp. 520-531, 2010.
· S.P.T. Krishnan, Sim Sze Liang, and Bharadwaj Veeravalli, " Towards a High-Performance Computing for Molecular Structure Prediction using IBM Cell Broadband Engine - an implementation perspective", BMC Bioinformatics, Volume 11, (Suppl 1): S36, January 2010. (Impact Factor: 3.78)
· Xiaolin, L., and Veeravalli, B., "PPDD: Scheduling multi-site divisible loads in single-level tree networks", Cluster Computing, 13 (1), pp. 31-46, 2010.
- 2009 -
· Zeng Zeng and Bharadwaj Veeravalli, "A Novel Distributed Architecture of Large-Scale Multimedia Storage System Using Autonomous Object-Based Storage Devices", Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing, volume 69, Issue 4, April 2009, Pages 349-359.
· Qin Z and Bharadwaj V, "On the Design of Communication-aware Fault-tolerant Scheduling Algorithms for Precedence Constrained Tasks in Grid Computing Systems with Dedicated Communication Devices", Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing, Volume 69, Issue 3, Pages 282-294, March 2009.
· Bharadwaj Veeravalli and Han Min Wong, " Handling Biological Sequence Alignments on Networked-Computing Systems: A Divide-and-Conquer Approach, To appear in Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing, Volume 69, Issue 10, Pages 854-865, October 2009.
· Xiaorong Li, Bharadwaj Veeravalli, and Hailong Li, "Multimedia Service Provisioning and Personalization over Grid-based Infrastructures: Now and the Future", IEEE Multimedia, pages - 36-44, January-March 2009.
· Goh Lee Kee, Bharadwaj Veeravalli, and Sivakumar Viswanathan, "Design of Fast and Efficient Energy-aware Gradient-based Scheduling Algorithms for Heterogeneous Embedded Multiprocessor Systems", IEEE Transactions on Parallel & Distributed Systems, Volume 20, Issue 1, Pages 1-12, January 2009.
· Q. Zheng, B. Veeravalli, and C. K. Tham, "On the Design of Fault-tolerant Scheduling Strategies Using Primary-Backup Approach for Computational Grids with Low Replication Costs", IEEE Transactions on Computers, Volume 58, Issue 3, Pages 380-393, March 2009.
· Teo T Chin, Bharadwaj Veeravalli, and Jingxi Jia, "Handling Large-Size Discrete Wavelet Transform on Network-Based Computing Systems: Parallelization via Divisible Load Paradigm", Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing, Volume 69, Issue 2, February 2009, Pages 143-152.
· Cheong, C. Y., Tan, K. C. and Veeravalli, B., "A multi-objective evolutionary algorithm for examination timetabling", Journal of Scheduling, 12(2): 121-146, 2009.
- 2008 -
· Zeng Zeng and Bharadwaj Veeravalli, "On the Design of Distributed Object Placement and Load Balancing Strategies in Large-Scale Networked Multimedia Storage Systems", IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, Vol. 20, No. 3, pp. 369-382, 2008.
· Goh Lee Kee and Bharadwaj Veeravalli, "Design and Performance Evaluation of Combined First-Fit Task Allocation and Migration Strategies in Mesh Multiprocessor Systems", To appear in Parallel Computing, 2008.
· Xiaoli Li, Junxiang Lee, Bharadwaj Veeravalli, and Seekiong Ng, "Inferring Transcription Factor interactions using a novel HV-SVM classifier", To appear in Int. J. Computational Biology and Drug Design, Inderscience Publishers, 2008.
· Qin Zheng, Tham CK, and Bharadwaj V, "Dynamic Load Balancing and Pricing in Grid Computing with Communication Delays", To appear in Special Issue of Grid Computing in International Journal of Grid Computing, 2008.
· Ligang Dong, Bharadwaj Veeravalli, "Design and analysis of a variable bit rate caching algorithm for continuous media data", Multimedia Tools Application (MTAP).Vol. 38 Issue: 1, pp.91-117, 2008.
· Wujuan Lin, Bharadwaj Veeravalli, "Design and analysis of an adaptive object replication algorithm in distributed network systems", Computer Communications Vol. 31, Issue 10, pp.2005-2015, 2008.
- 2007 -
· Diana LH Ping, Bharadwaj Veeravalli, and David Bader, "On the Design of High-Performance Algorithms for Aligning Multiple Protein Sequences on Mesh-Based Multiprocessor Architectures", Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing (JPDC), Vol. 67, No. 9, pp. 1007-1017, 2007.
· Jingxi J, Bharadwaj V, and Debasish, G, "Adaptive Load Distribution Strategies for Divisible Load Processing on Resource Unaware Multi-level Tree Network", IEEE Transactions on Computers, Vol. 65, No. 7, pp. 999-1005, 2007.
· Benjamin Khoo Boon T, Bharadwaj Veeravalli, Terence Hung, Simon See, "A Multi-Dimensional Scheduling Scheme in a Grid Computing Environment", Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing (JPDC), Vol. 67, No. 6, pp. 659-673, 2007.
· Ruchir S, Bharadwaj, V, and Manoj, M, "On the Design of Adaptive and De-centralized Load Balancing Algorithms with Load Estimation for Computational Grid Environments", IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, Vol. 18, No. 12, Dec 2007.
· Sivakumar Viswanathan, Bharadwaj Veeravalli, and Thomas. G. Robertazi, "Resource Aware Distributed SchedulingStrategies for Large-Scale Computational Cluster/Grid Systems", IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, Vol. 18, No. 10, Oct 2007.
· Darin England, Bharadwaj Veeravalli, and Jon Weissman, "A Robust Spanning Tree Topology for Data Collection and Dissemination in Distributed Environments", IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, Vol. 18, No. 5, pp. 608-620, 2007.
· X. Li, B. Veeravalli, and V.K. Prasanna, "A Window-assisted Video Partitioning Strategy for Partitioning and Caching Video Streams in Distributed Multimedia Systems", Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing (JPDC), Vol. 67, No. 6, pp. 738-754, 2007.
· Xiaorong Li and Bharadwaj Veeravalli, "Cost-effective Multicast Approaches for Time-Critical Applications in Dynamic Network Environments", Journal of High Speed Networks (JHSN), Vol. 16, Number 3, pp. 239-260, 2007.
· Bharadwaj Veeravalli, Chen Chaoyang, Viktor K. Prasanna, "Fault-Tolerant Analysis for Multiple Servers Movie Retrieval Strategy for Distributed Multimedia Applications", Multimedia Tools and Applications (MTAP), Kluwer Academic, USA, Vol. 32, No. 1, pp. 1-27, January 2007..
International Conferences (Most Recent)
-- 2013 --
Anup Das, Akash
Veeravalli: Reliability-driven task mapping for lifetime extension of
networks-on-chip based multiprocessor systems. DATE 2013: 689-694.
Anup Das, Akash
Kumar, Bharadwaj Veeravalli: Communication and migration energy aware
design space exploration for multicore systems with intermittent faults. DATE 2013: 1631-1636
· Cristiana Bolchini, Matteo Carminati, Antonio Miele, Anup Das, Akash Kumar, Bharadwaj Veeravalli: Run-time mapping for reliable many-cores based on energy/performance trade-offs. DFT 2013: 58-64
-- 2012 –
· Menglan Hu, Jun Luo, Bharadwaj Veeravalli: Optimal provisioning for scheduling divisible loads with reserved cloud resources. ICON 2012: 204-209. .
· Zeng Zeng, Bharadwaj Veeravalli: Do More Replicas of Object Data Improve the Performance of Cloud Data Centers? IEEE UCC 2012: 39-46. .
· Anup Das, Akash Kumar, Bharadwaj Veeravalli: Fault-tolerant network interface for spatial division multiplexing based Network-on Chip. ReCoSoC, 1-8, 2012. .
· Lingfang Zeng, Dan Feng, Jianxi Chen, Qingsong Wei, Bharadwaj Veeravalli, Wenguo Liu: HRAID6ML: A hybrid RAID6 storage architecture with mirrored logging. MSST, 1-6, 2012. .
· Anup Das, Akash Kumar, Bharadwaj Veeravalli: Energy-Aware Communication and Remapping of Tasks for Reliable Multimedia Multiprocessor Systems, ICPADS: 564-571, 2012. .
· Lingfang Zeng, Bharadwaj Veeravalli, Xiaorong Li: ScaleStar: Budget Conscious Scheduling Precedence-Constrained Many-task Workflow Applications in Cloud. AINA 2012: 534-541.
-- 2011 –
· Qingsong Wei, Bozhao Gong, Suraj Pathak, Bharadwaj Veeravalli, Lingfang Zeng, Kanzo Okada: WAFTL: A workload adaptive flash translation layer with data partition. MSST 2011: 1-12.
· Mengalan Hu, Bharadwaj Veeravalli: Scheduling hybrid divisible and indivisible loads on clusters. IEEE ICON 2011: 141-146.
· Ganesh Neelakanta Iyer, Bharadwaj Veeravalli: On the resource allocation and pricing strategies in Compute Clouds using bargaining approaches. IEEE ICON 2011: 147-152.
· Yang Wang, Bharadwaj Veeravalli, Chen-Khong Tham: On Data Staging Strategies for Mobile Accesses to Cloud Services. IEEE UCC 2011: 245-252.
-- 2010 --
· Bharadwaj Veeravalli, "On the Design of Efficient Resource Allocation and Workload Management Strategies for Large-Scale Compute Cloud Platforms", Open Cirrus Singapore, Cloud Asia 2010, May 6, 2010, Singapore. ( http://cloudasia.ngp.org.sg/2010/programs_ocs.php )
· S.P.T. Krishnan, Sim Sze Liang, and Bharadwaj Veeravalli, "Towards High-Performance Computing for Molecular Structure Prediction using IBM Cell Broadband Engine - an implementation perspective", Eighth Asia-Pacific Bioinformatics Conference (APBC 10), Bangalore, India, January 18-21, 2010.
· Heng Yu, Bharadwaj Veeravalli, and Yajun Ha, “Leakage-aware Dynamic Scheduling for Real-time Adaptive Applications on Multiprocessor Systems,” Design Automation Conference (DAC’10), June, 2010.
· Heng Yu, Yajun Ha, and Bharadwaj Veeravalli, “Communication-Aware Multi-Application Mapping and Scheduling for NoC-Based MPSoCs,” IEEE International Symposium on Circuit and Systems (ISCAS’10), May, 2010.
-- 2009 --
· Sivakumar V, Bharadwaj V and Jingxi J, "Spanning Tree Routing Strategies for Divisible Load Scheduling on Arbitrary Graphs - a Comparative Performance Analysis' Proceedings of the 16th Annual IEEE International Conference on High Performance Computing (HiPC), India, 2009.
· Zeng, L., Feng, D., Veeravalli, B., Wei, Q., "ARRAY: A non-application-related, secure,wide-area disaster recovery storage system", In the Proceeding of IEEE International Symposium on Parallel and Distributed Processing with Applications (IPDPA), pp. 245-252, 2009.
· Syed, R., Chen, X., Ha, Y., Veeravalli, B., "sFPGA2 - A scalable gals FPGA architecture and design methodology", In the Proceedings of 19th International Conference on Field Programmable Logic and Applications , pp. 314-319, 2009.
· Wei, Q., Veeravalli, B., Li, Z., "CPM: Cooperative Power Management for Object-based Storage Cluster", In the Proceedings of IEEE Computer Society's Annual International Symposium on Modeling, Analysis, and Simulation of Computer and Telecommunications Systems, MASCOTS , pp. 601-603, 2009.
-- 2008 --
· Lingfang Z, Dan F, Bharadwaj V and Wei Q, "An Energy Efficient, Low Cost, Hybrid Storage System based on UtilityNetworks", Proceedings of Japan-China Joint Workshop on Frontier of Computer Science and Technology (FCST) , Nagasaki, Japan, December 27-28, 2008.
· Bharadwaj Veeravalli and Jingxi Jia, "Design, Analysis, and Performance Evaluation of an Efficient Resource Unaware Scheduling Strategy for Processing Divisible Loads on Distributed Linear Daisy ChainNetworks", Proceedings of the 15th Annual IEEE International Conference on High Performance Computing (HIPC 2008), Bangalore, India, 2008.
· Goh Lee Kee and Bharadwaj V, "An Energy-Balanced Task Scheduling Heuristic for Heterogeneous Wireless Sensor Networks", Proceedings of the 15th Annual IEEE International Conference on High Performance Computing (HIPC 2008), Bangalore, India, 2008. [Acceptance rate under 15%]
· Chaithrika US, Bharadwaj V, Yanhong L, Sivakumar V, "On the Design of Static and Dynamic Energy-Aware Task Mapping Algorithms for Body Area Networks", Proceedings of the 5th International Workshop on Wearable and Implantable Body Sensor Networks (BSN),in conjunction with The 5th International Summer School and Symposium on Medical Devices and Biosensors The Chinese University of Hong Kong, HKSAR, China, Pg 153- 156, Jun 1-3, 2008.
· Zeng Zeng and Bharadwaj Veeravalli, "Hk/T: A Novel Server-Side Web Caching Strategy for Multimedia Applications", International Conference on Communications (ICC), Beijing China, 2008.
· Yu Heng, Bharadwaj Veeravalli, and Ha Yajun, "Dynamic Scheduling of Imprecise-Computation Tasks for Maximizing QoS under Energy Constraints for Embedded Systems", The 13th Asia and South Pacific Design Automation Conference (ASP-DAC), 2008.
· Wei, Q., Veeravalli, B., Zeng, L.,"DWC2: A dynamic weight-based cooperative caching scheme for object-based storage cluster", In the proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Cluster Computing (ICCC) , pp. 167-174, 2009.
-- 2007 --
· Xiaoli Li, Jun-Xiang Lee, Bharadwaj Veeravalli, See-Kiong Ng, "An HV-SVM Classifier to Infer TF-TF Interactions Using Protein Domains and GO Annotations", BIBE 2007, pp.1360-1364, 2007.
· Yanhong Liu, Bharadwaj Veeravalli, Sivakumar Viswanathan, "Novel critical-path based low-energy scheduling algorithms for heterogeneous multiprocessor real-time embedded systems", ICPADS 2007, Hsinchu, Taiwan, 2007.
· Liu Yanhong and Bharadwaj V, "Heuristic-Path and Observer based Low-Energy Scheduling Algorithms for Body Area Network Systems", 2007 IEEE Biomedical Circuits and Systems (BIOCAS), Montreal, Canada, 2007.
· Xiaoli Li, Lee Junxiang, Bharadwaj Veeravalli, and See Kiong Ng, "An HV-SVM Classifier to Infer TF-TF Interactions using Protein Domains and GO Annotations", IEEE 7th International Symposium on Bioinformatics and Bioengineering (BIBE 2007) Boston, USA, October 14-17, 2007.
· Wei Qingsong, Wujuan Lin, and Bharadwaj Veeravalli, "QoS-aware Striping with Replciation for Object-based Multimedia Storage", SNAPI (held in conjunction with MSST), 2007.
· Wujuan Lin, Wei Qingsong, and Bharadwaj Veeravalli, "WPAR: A Weight-based Metadata Management Strategy for Petabyte-scale Object Storage Systems", SNAPI (held in conjunction with MSST), 2007.
· Yanhong Liu, Bharadwaj Veeravalli, Sivakumar Viswanathan, "Critical-Path based Low-Energy Scheduling Algorithms for Body Area Network Systems", IEEE International Conference on Embedded and Real-Time Computing Systems and Applications (RTCSA), Daegu, Korea, August 2007.
· Goh Lee Kee, Bharadwaj Veeravalli, Sivakumar Viswanathan, "An Energy-aware Gradient-based Scheduling Heuristic for Heterogeneous Multiprocessor Embedded Systems", The proceedings of High Performance Computing (HIPC), Goa, India, 2007.
· Nimesh Desai, KumKum Garg, Manoj Gupta and Bharadwaj Veeravalli, "Modeling Hierarchical Mobile Agent Security Protocol Using CP Nets", The proceedings of High Performance Computing (HIPC), Goa, India, 2007.
· Qin Z, Bharadwaj V, and Tham Ck, "Fault-tolerant Scheduling for Differentiated Classes of Tasks with Low Replication Cost in Computational Grids", The 16th international symposium on High Performance Distributed Computing (HPDC), Monterey Bay California, USA, pp.239-240, June 2007.
· Zeng Zeng, Bharadwaj Veeravalli, Teo Teck Meng Royston, and Jia Guaguang, "On the Design of Strategies for Resolving Bandwidth Constraints for Large-Scale Multimedia Video-on-Reservation Systems", the 2nd IEEE Conference on Industrial Electronics and Application (ICIEA 2007), Harbin, China, 23-25 May 2007.
· Ruchir Shah, Bharadwaj Veeravalli, and Manoj Misra, "A Receiver-initiated Load Balancing Algorithm with Parameter Estimation for Heterogeneous Grid Environments", The Proceedings of the Grid and Pervasive Computing (GPC), Paris, France, 2007.
· Bharadwaj Veeravalli, "Design, Analysis, and Simulation of Multiple Divisible Load Scheduling Strategies in Distributed Computing Networks", Technical Report TR-RP3982732 / R-263-000- 073-112, Open Source Software Laboratory, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, National University of Singapore, Singapore. Click here to see the Abstract and Contents of the work.[A complete PDF version is available on request]
Funded Projects (Most Recent)
· (External Funding – Ongoing) [Cloud Computing] Principal Investigator (PI) Received a competitive external academic research grant from a thematic research programme (TSRP) A*STAR (Agency for Science, Technology and Research) in June 2011 for ~ USD 500,000.00 (S$640K). (Title: Towards Designing Flexible, Cost-Effective and Secured Service Provisioning Strategies for Heterogeneous Data Centers in a Cloud-of-Clouds Infrastructure).
Key Contributions – Basic Architecture proposal – Single DC and Multiple DC modelling, Eliciting the underlying issues – load balancing, resource allocation, discussions leading to managing multiple applications across Cloud of Cloud platforms; Managing 2 Research Fellows and 1 research Engineer; Project is part of a big team about 30 researchers;
· (External Funding – Ongoing) [Cloud Computing] Co-Principal Investigator (Co-PI) Received a competitive external academic research grant from National research Foundation (NRF) from June 2012 for 5 years ~ USD 260,000.00 (S$350K). (Title: Self-Powered Body Area Networks for Disease Management and Prevention-Oriented Healthcare).
Key Contributions – Basic Cloud Architecture proposal, Design of Data Mining algorithms for Medical Analytics (pre-processing algorithms for cardio related signals, Bloom filter design, Handling Big Data access and storage on graph-based storage architecture (BiGGraph, Fujitsu); This cloud component is part of a bigger project whose total value is approximately S$8Mil);
· (External Funding – Completed) [Cloud Computing] Co-Principal Investigator (Co-PI) Received a competitive external academic research grant from a thematic research programme (TSRP) A*STAR(Agency for Science, Technology and Research) in August 2010 for ~ USD 250,000.00 (S$346,668K). (Title: Reliable and Adaptive MapReduce-enabled Cloud Platform for Workflow Data Analytics Services).
Key Contributions – Design of Large-scale workflow algorithms (Workflow representation for a dependent Big Data) on Cloud; Managing a team of engineers to implement the strategies on Hadoop platform using MapReduce paradigm;
· (External Funding – Completed) [Cloud Computing] Co-Principal Investigator (Co-PI) Received a competitive external academic research grant from a thematic research programme (TSRP) A*STAR(Agency for Science, Technology and Research) in August 2010 for ~ USD 170,000.00 (S$236,535). (Title: Event Driven Autonomic Services Architecture with Composition and Event Processing (EDASACEP)).
Key Contributions – Systems Theory: Designed algorithms for handling delay sensitive applications on cloud, specifically applied to mobile applications – data/application placement;
· (External Funding - Completed) [Embedded Hybrid Systems] Received a competitive external academic research grant from A*STAR(Agency for Science, Technology and Research) SERC in November 2005 for ~ USD 182,000.00(~S$301K). (Title: Design of Adaptive and Hybrid Energy-&-QoS Aware Heterogeneous Multiprocessor Scheduling Strategies for Embedded Systems).
Key Contributions – Systems Theory: Design of DVS & PVS based embedded CPU scheduling algorithms for BAN application, power-aware scheduling strategies;
· (External Funding - Completed) [Multimedia Storage] Received a competitive external academic research grant from A*STAR(Agency for Science, Technology and Research) SERC in July 2005 for ~USD 285,000.00(~S$470K). (Title: Design, Implementation and Management of a High Performance Object-Based Storage and Retrieval System for Large Scale Multimedia Applications).
Key Contributions – Proposed an architecture for object-based storage and retrieval; participated in the design of algorithms for efficient data access & retrieval;
College of Computing,
Computational Science and Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta
USA (Grid/Cluster/Parallel Computing, Bioinformatics)
Dept of Electrical Engineering,
University of SUNY, Stony Brook, NY, USA (Computing, PDS, Cluster&Grid)
Dept of Computer Science, Univeristy of Minessota,
Minneapolis, USA (Multimedia, Computing)
Dept of Physics, BrookHaven National Laboratory, ATLAS/RHIC Computing,
Upton, NY, USA (Computing, Grid Research)
Dept of EE&Systems,
University of Southern California, LA, CA, USA (Multimedia, Systems
Dept of CS&E, Computer
Science & Engineering, University of California at Riverside, CA, USA (Multimedia)
Dept of Computer Science,
Mathematics & Statistics, American University of Sharjah,
Sharjah, UAE (Computing, PDS)
Dept. of Computer Science
and Software Engineering, The University of Melbourne, Australia (Grid
· Institute of Network and Communication Engineering, , Zhejiang Gongshang University, P . R. China (Multimedia & systems research)
· Data Storage Institute (DSI), Multimedia Storage Systems (Multimedia Storage Systems)
· I2R (Security, Mobile Security)
· Data Storage Institute (DSI), Distributed Storage Resource Management (Storage Grid Systems)
· I2R (Mathematical Analysis & Optimization related work in the domain of Image/vision processing, systems related research)
Multiprocessor Systems - Graduate Level Course (EE5902)
Advanced Distributed Systems - Graduate Level Course (EE6xxx) [under preparation]
Microprocessor Systems - Undergraduate Level (EE2007)